Thursday, October 30, 2008

FAQs About ECPL's Partychat

# What happens when I log off?
You'll still be in the chat when you log back in. That's what the "persistent" means. You don't have to keep logging in and out of the chat room, you're always in it.

# I missed messages when I was offline! Is there anyway to read what I missed?
PartyChat conversations, even the ones you miss, are logged to your GMail account.

# Can I use PartyChat with Gmail chat?
Absolutely. PartyChat works with anything that connects to Google Talk / Jabber.

# Sometimes PartyChat is offline, what's up with that?
PartyChat runs on a server in my apartment, so it's not as stable as I'd like it to be. Some friends and I are looking into finding a better arrangement for it.

# Isn't this just IRC implemented on top of Google Talk?
Call it what you want. I never used IRC, but this is a frequently asked question, so I figured it belongs in the FAQ.

# Is the source code online somewhere?

Yes. The code sucks, but hey, it works. You can find it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/partychat.

# Wow, no kidding, this source code really is bad. Mind if I rewrite it or add some new features?

Be my guest! Fire me an email asking to be a contributer to the project and I'll happily review the changes you want to make.

# Doesn't every half-assed online project need a blog of some sort?
Of course, where are my manners? We be bloggin' at http://techwalla.blogspot.com. Feel free to subscribe for updates and misc. tips.

# Who are you....
My name is Akshay. I work for Google, but Techwalla and PartyChat are in no way affiliated with my employer. This whole thing is just a little side project of mine. You can reach me at techwalla(a)gmail.com

3 comments:

Zero said...

Hmmm...
"Why do I not see any of the responses?" and "Why do I see double responses?" seem to be missing.

As of now partychats 0-5 do not work for me.

The Arsonist said...

Yeah, for some reason it isn't working today. Also I didn't create those question/answers.

Zero said...

I was somehow able to deduce that on my own :)

(Especially the last question)