Sunday, August 17, 2008

Been a while, and I want a tank

Hey hey! Saw a bunch of you at 32 Bit Gen, and I promised to post on here more, so here it is.

I want to make a crazy damage absorbing Wailord, but I'm stumped as to whether to give it more defense, or more HP. Would a defense stat be more effective than it having an obscene amount of HP, taking into account weakness and such, or would high spec def and def be a better option? And if HP wouldn't be a good idea, then damn, who would ever opt for that over defense?

4 comments:

Machine Lock said...

Yeah, I'v always wondered that myself... I think defense is better, but of course less versitile. For example.. If you have no idea go for both defenses, but if you have an idea of whether a physical or special attack will hit you more often go for the defense in that, then the hp. I think most common grass and electric moves are special attacks.

Zero said...


This article
will tell you the best way to figure this out. Especially sections 4-6, though reading it all the way through was very helpful for me.

Zero said...

Its usually a case by case situation, depending on the base stats of the pokemon. In Wailord's case I'm pretty sure raising the defenses would give you a much bigger improvement then messing with the HP.

Ace of Spades said...

Just to add to what Matt has been saying, usually you'll want to improve the stat that the pokemon is most deficient in. In wailord's case, it's hp is insane regardless of whether you give it ev's or not, so you're going to want to max whichever stat you're most concerned about being hit on. If you want it to take special attacks better, a + sp. def nature with 252 ev's would be best. Conversely, a +def nature would be better if you're more concerned with physical attacks. Unfortunately, its attacking stats aren't good enough to use without any additional ev's, so you won't really be able to max out both defenses.