Monday, May 4, 2015

Flying Gym Leader: David Kelman Interview

Me: Welcome to the show mr kelman.
First question, why flying types?
David Kelman: When I became a Gym Leader flying seemed like the best choice at the time in terms of versatility and available options.
Originally I wanted to be Normal Gym Leader, as during my challenging days Slaking was my mascot,
but I am very glad that I have the Flying Gym as we speak on the same page.
Me: Speaking of mascots who would you say is the mascot for your gym?
For instance when I was bug GL volcorona was what I considered my mascot
David Kelman: The funny thing is, I do not have a mascot for my Gym.
As most challengers know I have many different gym teams with a different pokemon on each team.
In my current 4 Gym Teams there are 20 different pokemon out of a possible 24
So as far as mascots go, only 4 pokemon enter more than one team, and even then, it will have a different build, move set and strategy.
Me: So one could say you have multiple mascots? Care to elaborate who they are? Or is that a trade secret?
David Kelman: Ha ha, no trade secrets, just the fact that they fit the role the best in my typing.
But to find out who they are......
I guess the trainers will have to challenge me and see if they notice when I switch my teams around.
Me: Nice choice of words. So what was your first Pokemon?
David Kelman: Thats one question I would love to know the answer for. I cannot remember!
Me: Seriously? Wow. Ok then what is your favorite Pokemon?
David Kelman: That is always a tough choice.
I cant pick out a favourite Pokemon, but I can give you a 5 favourites.
Not in any order mind you.
1 & 2: Butterfree and Beedrill these guys I always loved using back in Blue, then when I played soul silver my Beedrill did some amazing plays. It managed to take on Whitney all by itself whilst being at the same level.
Miltank rollout? Bah. Whats that?
And Butterfree also was a very core member of my Kanto tournament here in the ECPL. If I remember correctly, we ended up against each other in tht tournament. Butterfree certainly locked you down.
Then there is Audino.
3: Audino was the mastermind behind my VGC 12 and VGC 13 team. At the time of black and white, no one knew what Audino did and they were surprised at how well it played. 2 memorable years of being the core of my competitive team.
4: Basculin. Never under estimate the fish. With the right partner, this little critter is ridiculously powerful.
5: Last but not least, Bulbasaur. This one is due to the Anime.
Me: I distinctly remember your butterfree.
It's what led me to trying for the bug gym.
So in terms of types it does seem like you have an affinity for bug types.
Care to elaborate on this?
David Kelman: I do have a fair bit of love for the bugs.
scyther, Volcarona are more mentions to the Bug love list.
Mainly due to using them on the story mode.
Me: That being said, lets get the elephant in the room out the way.
Your scizor.
How'd he come about?
What are its origins?
David Kelman: Ha ha, That Scizor.........
That Scizor was forged in battle when I was just beginning to learn about EV's and IV's.
It's nature is Lax and his EVs are all over the place, but he has more heart than any steroid bred Pokemon that I have trained.
Because of that I have kept him just the way he is.
The training method.... "This power item increases attack? Ill just add it equip it to Scizor and see how it works."
Me: Fair enough. That thing is damn near legendary.
Any interesting stories about it?
David Kelman: The only other interesting story about the Scizor is when it managed to win me the Water badge.
Super power on Lapras.
The move set is Bullet punch, bug bite, super power and swords dance.
Other than Lax nature, there is not much more I can tell you about my famous Scizor. His secrets are hidden, even to me.
Hell.... We would probably have more chance figuring out all the secrets on the Vault of Glass!
Me: Ah man, I remember the first time played that raid
and im thinking this is by far the hardest thing I have ever done in terms of video games.
Then raid of crota came out. Lol
So what class do you play in destiny?
David Kelman: I am gutted that I was not there when no one knew what they were doing.
Now everyone knows what to do so it is a formality.
I missed the adventure, although I will be off down to the VoG tonight just to explore.
I hear there are supposed to be 7 chests, yet we only have found 5.
I am a Warlock, got Void powers maxed up and almost maxed up my sun powers.
Me: I personally play hunter.
It is maxed as well and wow there's 7? Go fig.
So what else do you play beside Pokemon and destiny?
David Kelman: At the moment it is just DBZ Xenoverse enters the mix in my gaming time.
I will however be playing alot of Final Fantasy XV and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain when they come out.
Me: Hmmm so you're a round about gamer. Interesting.
So when you having a gaming session what do you usually snack on and drink?
David Kelman: Normally I have a glass of water by the side of my chair, and snack on toast if i get hungry.
And the toast can have either Jam, Marmite, Peanut Butter or Nutella on top
Me: Hmmm. Interesting again.
So outside of gaming any other hobbies?
David Kelman: I enjoy reading, mainly historical fiction and fantasy.
Brandon Sanderson is my favourite author by a long shot.
I also enjoy tennis and golf, although I am no Wods or Henman.
But most of all, I enjoy hiking the most.
Me: Hmmm so a true outdoorsman.
Very good.
Do you watch any anime?
David Kelman: Apart from Pokemon, I have hardly watched any.
I am not really the anime person, but I have heard there is a weird three kingdoms anime which I may look into.
I have seen Ouran host wich was fairly amusing.
And how can I forget Dragonball and DBZ. (GT does not excist in my mind)
Me: Lol and ouran host club is probably one of the funniest animes I've seen.
So next question, Optimus prime vs Burning Gundam, who wins?
David Kelman
4:44pm
David Kelman
Optimus prime as I have no idea who Burning Gundam is!
Me: Sad. Ok three questions:
What Pokemon do you believe deserves an evolution?
Which Pokemon deserves a mega evolution?
What legendary do you wish you could use in competitive play?
David Kelman: When you say competitive play, do you mean ECPL rules or VGC?
Me: Both
David Kelman: ECPL it would be Articuno, for no reason other than the fact that I love that bird.
VGC, there is no pokemon that is banned that I would love to see play! Keep them banned.
But if you must press me, I would say Zygarde
Me: Zygarde? Interesting choice.
But I too have a love for Articuno.
Sadly there's really no good move spread for him.
As of the evolutions?
David Kelman: For Articuno or Zygarde?
Me: I was asking more towards what Pokemon would you like to see get an evolution.
Example Lapras doesn't have an evolution.
David Kelman: I was referring to where you mentioned there is no move set for him.
I was unsure as to which mon you was referring to.
I would love to see a Jynx / Golduck evolution.
They have very average stats and little going for them.
They need a bit of love. Either a mega or a normal evolution.
Me: Hmmm I would love a mega golduck.
So next question, if you could kill off one of the other gym leaders Pokemon, who and what would it be?
David Kelman: ECPL or game?
Me: Both
David Kelman: In game I never really had many preblems where one pokemon really wiped me out
In the ECPL....
Gosh this is going back some time to when I was doing my challenges.
Me: Lol so who is it and which Pokemon?
I'm guessing Ice GL?
David Kelman: Once I got my first badge, Ice was no longer a problem.
I had a great run of form and claimed badge after badge.
Normal GL's Togekiss was quite a big pain back when he was allowed it, but now I would have to say Brett's Talonflame.
Me: With that being said, mortal kombat x releases tomorrow.
If fatalities were allowed in Pokemon, what Pokemon would you use, what would be the fatality and who would it be done to?
David Kelman: Easy.
Machamp.
That four arm fist action would be too much for some people.
And that would also be the move name
Me: Lol four arm fist action? Love it. Last question of the interview.
When I return, will you be prepared to face me after my training in exile?
Will our rivalry continue?
Will that damned scizor finally die?!?!?!
David Kelman: Woah woah woah Darryl...
Surely you mean........
LETS GET READY FOR POKEMANIA!
I am always ready for your challenges.
Set a rough date so I can squash you like a bug
I look forward to your return as it has been too long since our last battle.
For the readers who want to see the last battle, look no further.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6PEt5zWTM0
And dont you worry, Scizor has been sent on a secret training reigeme to ensure he can go toe to toe with you. (Or Metal claw to toe)
Me: Well Gollum its been a nice interview.
And as always.....
I'LL SEE YOU IN POKEHELL!
David Kelman: ha ha, it was a pleasure Darryl.
Good luck in your exile, and I will be looking forward to it.

No comments: