Friday, May 22, 2015

Trainer Interview with Alex Lederer; Magfest Team Magma Champion

Me: Welcome to the show Alex. So how did you come to join the ECPL?

Alex: I joined the ECPL after last Magfest.  I had to leave Magfest early that year,
so I rushed really quickly to get all the badges that year and joined the forums almost immediately afterwards.

Me: Ok so was this your first Magfest?

Alex: No, I've been going since 2013.  Uh, by last magfest I meant Mag2014, that's where
I met Ian and we bonded in line for the gym leaders.

Me: Nice. So you're the team Magma Champ. What did your team consist of?

Alex: Well, when I saw the ruleset for magma / aqua teams I knew magma was going to be the
stronger choice.  I had done a lot of doubles in the past year (only on smogon / wifi though)
and knew that garchomp, talonflame, and charizard y were super strong doubles pokemon, so I
based my team around them. For my actual team I used Kangaskan, Talonflame, Garchomp, Charizard Y,
Scrafty and Excadrill.  I sometimes would substitute in Milotic, Clefable, Greninja, or different Kangaskan / Talonflame sets.
Throughout the year I had coem to really love Mega Kangaskan (hail Satan) and I had 4 different sets that I would swap around

Me: Hmmm that team alone sounds like a powerhouse. So what would you say is your favorite type?

Alex: I'm not sure I have a favorite type, I'm pretty balanced between them, I love a lot of
pokemon from many different types. I do have favorite abilities though.  My favorite abilities
are Parental Bond, Gale Wings, and Prankster, for sure.

Me: What is your favorite Pokemon?

Alex: Oh geez, that changes all the time too. I know a few though
Jirachi and Whimsicott are cute as hell
I also have a soft spot for trubbish and elgyem
For pokemon to battle with, Kangaskan and Talonflame have done a lot of work for me. I used to
like Greninja a lot too, mostly for battle tower.

Me: So its safe to say you have a diverse taste in Pokemon?

Alex: I think so!

Me: Any other games beside Pokemon?

Alex: I don't play too many games, and when I do play them I tend to play them the same way
I play pokemon, so like a competitive grindlorde.

Me: What systems do you currently own?

Alex: I used to play melee a ton, but I don't have much time these days, and I played
Ragnarok Online a lot, like 10+ hours a day every day for 2 years.
I currently only own a laptop and 3ds.

Me: Would you say your more a PC gamer then a console one?

Alex: I'm not sure I would even consider myself a gamer, my desire to play something comes
and goes in waves.   I can pump out 50 hours a week in pokemon for a month but then not play
any video game for 8 months. These days I pick up Pokemon around 2 months before and after
Magfest, but besides that I don't play anything.

Me: Ok. Outside of games do you have any hobbies?

Alex: Yes, in my free time I am BuzzBuzz's biggest fan.  I also enjoy drinking, parties,
BuzzBuzz fanfiction and Magic the Gathering.

Me: Lmao ok what do you do for a living?

Alex: I teach robotics and other after school tech classes

Me: So you will be the reason the robotic overlords overthrow humanity? We got a Skynet lover over here!!!!!
Currently in a relationship?

Alex: I think so, it's why I went into the business.  I'm hoping I can inspire children to see the flaws
in humanity and replace them with perfect mechanical overlords.
I'm trying to get into a relationship with RC but I'm not sure if he's down

Me: O.O I suddenly feel like I should have someone travel to the past to put you down. Moving on
any anime or shows your currently watching?

Alex: I'm slowly watching through Mad Men on netflix, but I watch Iain Softley's 1995 filme Hackers on repeat.

Me: Hackers is to me one of the greatest films ever made.
So since joining the ecpl have you obtained any badges?

Alex: Oh geez,
I joined the ECPL and fought last year lemme check my trainer card
It was all last year, I was going through but then I kinda got burnt out and stopped, I should start up again
according to my card I have 6 but I think I'm missing a few

Me: Ok. Any memorable battles against the Gym Leaders?

Alex: Quite a few!
Online, I remember Matt's (normal gym) the most, I was down to two pokemon left and they were low health vs his
fresh diggersby.  I thought I was going to lose because I assumed he had quick attack on it, but without quick
attack I was able to clutch it out. I remember most of my magfest battles, the first year against the water gym
leader I wanted to like show off

Me: Who would you say is your go to Pokemon on your team? Your ace up your sleeve?

Alex: So against his water team I brought in politoed to encore his greninja, who
I assumed would start mat block but instead I encored a hydro pump and gave him rain...
I still had clefable to clutch it out though.  That one was close and against the electric
gym leader this year he gave a very audible UNGH when he saw my Kangaskan so I brought in charizard y
instead and he has his double discharge team. Well he double discharged and both of my pokemon fully paralyzed
I fought 55 battles this past magfest and only lost 4 times, one time was to that discharge stuff, but I
mean it's pokemon and it happens. My go to team is probably my magma team, with double edge kangaskan,
choice band talonflame, and milotic instead of excadrill
for doubles anyways
for singles I use a mega ampharos / perish song murkrow

Me: Nice. What would say has been the greatest aspectsince joining the ecpl?

Alex: For sure meeting up with everyone at Magfest.  I'm a very social person and I look forward to hanging out each year.

Me: Where do you live?

Alex: I live in Burke, Virginia.  The annual pilgrimage to the Gaylord only takes me about 30 minutes.

Me: Lucky bastard. What's an interesting talent you possess ?

Alex: I can hit 666.0 in melee's home run contest on every character

Me: Lmao so who took this pic?

Alex: my dad 8)

Me: How old are you?

Alex: 25

Me: What was a defining moment for you at Magfest?

Alex: The meetup in the arcade was great, I'm in a room block with people who play a lot of street
fighter / fighting games and they helped me crew up for team magma. Yuu Miyake's set at magfest was great too
I remember hanging out at the magfest pokemon league's booth super hung over in the mornings too

Me: Lol sounds like an awesome time. Meet any girls?

Alex: I always meet a lot of people each Magfest, but in terms of special ladies (or dudes)
I haven't met anyone yet (besides RC) (whats good RC)

Me: Lol
So what do you do in your free time?

Alex: I read music forums, listen to new music, read books, and hit up the gym
i try to follow pokemon stuff too
even though I dont play as much as I should
I read articles on nuggetbridge and check the showdown usage charts

Me: So you're not only into social media but statistics as well

Alex: yeah, i fine tune my sets pretty close
so i look at a lot of data to see what the best sets could be

Me: Hey nothing better then a prepared plan. What do you like to snack on when you game?

Alex: welch's fruit snacks for sure
maybe make myself some hummus bitables
maybe pour myself some sweet rumchata

Me: Mmmmmm rum
Recently there was a case where a League of Legends player had died while playing for damn near
3 days straight. What's the longest time have you spent on one game without taking a break?

Alex: when I was playing ragnarok online in my junior year of college I played for 46 hours
straight and I paid my roommate to pick me up chic-a-fil and take over for me when I went to the bathroom

Me: Wow. That's dedication. Have you ever had a relationship die because of games?

Alex: no, usually when social life picks up gaming life dies down

Me: Ok. What's one of the craziest stories you have about games ?

Alex: I found multiple glitches in ragnarok online that allowed characters to warp around to maps
they werent supposed to get on, then level really fast and get lots of money
and when the GMs found out about it they banned all my accounts and 300 other people who were using the glitches

Me: Ok. What would you say was the most challenging game you've ever played?

Alex: Super Smash Bros. Melee, the skill cap is soooooo high

Me: Lol I have witnessed some crazy shit in that game. Who do you use in Melee?

Alex: I used to use Ice Climbers, but they require a lot of practice to keep up, so I've been playing Peach and Jigglypuff

Me: K. I have a friend who thrashes with Yoshi

Alex: Oh nice, i've been wrecked by Yoshi before
hes a tricky dino
best sound effects in game IMO

Me: That he is. He's gotten better in Smash 4
What kind of music do you listen to?

Alex: I ride hard for the sinister south
triple six mafia, dj screw, ugk
then of course the tribute music like lil ugly mane, raider klan
i listen to a lot of producers as well, really big into ryan hemsworth and a few netlabels, like PC music and stuff like that

Me: Ok. If you could have any song play when you entered a room, what would it be?

Alex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-mjl63e0ms
Diana Ross - I'm Coming Out
"I'm Coming Out" is a hit single released by Motown singer Diana Ross in 1980, written and produced by Chic members
Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers for her ...
youtube.com

Me: Rofl classy. So if you could pull one weapon from a video game into the real world and use it, what would it be and why?

Alex: Uh does Mr. Saturn in Smash count? Even though i like competition im more of a lover than a fighter. I would cuddle with the mr saturn

Me: Hey whatever works man.
No judgement here

Alex: woah people usually only say that after they judge

Me: What's one fighter you would like to be seen added to the smash roster?

Alex: I want to fight Sakurai himself
I guess thats not like, on the roster
I want Sakurai to replace Master and Crazy Hand

Me: Ok. What would say had been the hardest boss battle in your gaming career?

Alex: probably this monster http://db.irowiki.org/db/monster-info/1832/
with like 12~ people?
against people, the peach user DoH destroyed me, he's probably the best person I've played against in a game I thought I was decent at

Me: Could you ever see yourself going to EVO to enter the Smash Bros tournament?

Alex: I did have "fun" boss fights in pokemon though, against the elite four and red in hgss
I used a team of level 1 duskulls to beat them. No way, I didn't even enter melee when I went
to winter brawl.  Maybe pokemon.  Melee tournaments take a long time and I like relaxing, the
rigid tournament structures get me stressed

Me: ......ok your gonna have to explain that one. With the Duskulls

Alex: I hate pain.  I love pleasure
oh I used trick room, rain dance, destiny bond and a blank forth move
and a few of them would hold focus sashes
so first turn
they hit me with some move
i live with focus sash, set up trick room
then next turns I have my duskulls destiny bond as they die
taking the other dude with them
so I beat the other team and all my pokemon stay level 1
it was cool because you could check the levels in the hall of fame and styff
and they gave your pokemon ribbons

Me: Damn. That's actually pretty diabolical. Lol

Alex: I didn't do it in the new games because a lot of the elite four pokemon can't actually hit duskull
although i think yuo can do it with abra
well, any pokemon with trick room and destiny bond
takes a lot of focus sashes though
which isn't a problem if you grind battle tower
8)

Me: True.

Alex: I have a 250 win streak in xy
but my win streak in oras is only 100
i've been lazy
and they dont even give you anything past 50 so

Me: K few more questions and we can call it a day.

Alex: kk

Me: What's your favorite type of movie?

Alex: Cyberpunk movies
Hackers, Akira
Ghost in the Shell

Me: Ah man. All classics.

Alex: All the late 80s early 90s movies about counterculture or low lives on the web

Me: I got one for you that you may like. Look up Summer Wars

Alex: Oh! I love SUmmer Wars
it was super pretty

Me: Love Fist for the win!!!!!
Do you play starcraft?

Alex: I gotta learn how to play Koi Koi
no, but I used to watch it in 2010
the only blizzard games I've played are diablo 2 and 3
and I only played diablo 3 for 3 months, I grinded up really hard, sold money on the auction house, then sold my battle net account

Me: Damn. Ok are you going to be playing heroes of the storm?

Alex: I dont think so. I really want to make more pokemon, if I play any game it's gonna be pokemon again

Me: What was your first Pokemon?

Alex: red / blue
and I picked squirtle
my first ever pokemon interaction was the anime though, the episode where brock gets vulpix

Me: Awesome. Have you played the new smash yet?

Alex: Only a little when it first came out
I was at a friend's house to play the 8 player smash
we ordered bon chon afterwards and I drank all the moscato

Me: Did you do better drunk?

Alex: no I play so poorly when I'm drunk
I still felt like a winner though

Me: Having alcohol tends to have that effect.
So this RC person, anything you would like to say to them?

Alex: Hey RC, it's me.  What we have is super special, but text me, don't call.

Me: Lol ok thank you Alex. You've been a great guest. Oh and sorry

Alex: hahaha
np

Me: Oh no I'm sorry for this *pulls out gun and shoots Alex in head* well that should keep the robot apocalypse from happening.
Roll the credits

Alex: damn... I've been... owned

Me: Brotality. Darryl wins

No comments: