Monday, May 4, 2015

Grass Gym Leader: Erika Gordon Interview

Me: K, so first question, Why grass? Plenty of other types to choose from.
Erika: When I knew we were close to having the full complement of Gym Leaders here at the ECPL,
I wanted to pick something that didn't already have an established person in the spot.
Looking at the choices, I felt more of a connection to the grass type over the others.
Me: Hmmm, seems sensible.
While you were creating your gym team, what did you center your gyms structure around?
Erika: With grass having so many weaknesses yet so much versatility,
I designed my team around countering those weaknesses as well as employ some strategies that may catch potential challengers off-guard.
Me: Nice.
Recently I fought against an opponent who started his match with a Venusaur and a Charizard.
Oddly enough his Venusaur outsped the Charizard. Is this a tactic you would find yourself using to throw a challenger off?
Erika: Absolutely, especially if the pokemon isn't really known to excel at it, like the Venusaur and Charizard example.
Me: Yeah cause it definitely threw me off.
I attacked the Charizard thinking it was the threat
Erika: I could definitely see that if the Venusaur had like Stun Spore or something.
Me: Speaking of scenarios, gonna throw a few at you.
Just tell me how you would respond.
1st scenario is a team doubles.
Opponent throws out at an infernape and Espeon.
What would you address as the immediate threat?
Erika: I'd probably work on the Infernape first since it can be a direct threat for most of my team.
Me: k, next scenario, two of your best pokemon have been swept by your opponent.
were they really your best or do you have a champion in the wings waiting to strike?
Erika: Losing two of my best would hurt, but I always have a plan B ready.
Champions shine through when it's crunch time!
Me: very true.
last scenario, Gary Oak challenges your gym.
he throws our his arcanine. Who do you choose to meet his fiery mutt?
Erika: I would trust my Cradily to be stalwart in taking Arcanine down.
Me: very good.
next question, what was your very first pokemon?
for me it was a dodrio pokemon card
Erika: Ironically enough, it was the Bulbasaur that you could start with in Pokemon Blue.
Me: really? very interesting.
what would you say is your favorite pokemon?
Erika: I have so many that it is really hard to choose.
In-type, I would say it is Maractus, and out of type it would probably be a close tie between Venomoth and Volcarona.
Me: hmmm even more interesting.
next question: Smogon is what some consider the utmost authority on competitive pokemon.
what are your thoughts on some of their more..."controversial" rulings?
Erika: They started out with great ideas, but the metagame that they have created is starting to feel a bit centralized.
It really started to become evident to me when they were moving OU pokemon to the Uber tier on what seems to be
lack of creativity on the player base.
Me: i personally feel that their decisions are based on how they want the game to be played rather then
helping create balanced teams for players seeking help.
in your opinion, did u think the banning of greninja was outlandish?
Erika: It's a good pokemon with Protean, but it does seem a bit outlandish to ban it.
Then again, without knowing where the current tier list is at,
it could be that there are fewer checks and counters to it in their environment at the moment.
Me: hmmmm. on that note im gonna change the questioning up for the remainder of the interview.
if your having a late name gaming binge, what are you snacks and drinks of choice?
Erika: I used to go after Dew and potato chips a lot.
I've been going through a diet recently, though,
so I usually reach for something like cereal and yogurt or a pickle and some diet soda or flavored water.
Me: yech. diet soda.
lol k next question, godzilla invades your home town. how would you catch him?
Erika: Find the Power Rangers to take him down with the Megazord would probably be the best course of action.
Me: hmmm dont think so.
every mech thrown at the king of monsters has been destroyed.
short of tommy summoning the dragonzord, theyre screwed.
ok last question of the night and i have to call it a wrap: if you could use on legendary in competetive play, what would it be?
Erika: I'd have to go with Ho-Oh mostly due to the mythology surrounding it and the fact that I really like phoenixes.
Me: hmmm. well thank u for your time. i'll have this up later
Erika: No problem. Thank you for interviewing me!

No comments: